Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 22:03:19 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Midnight Commander

On 05-Jul-98 Sue Blake wrote:
> We're seeing a few common favourites among the top tens.
> It might be helpful to hear a bit about how people are using them.

 I like midnight commander cause it was there for me when I tried my
first unix varient and it was a nice find when I came to FreeBSD.

 When I first installed FreeBSD all I had was the basic setup, and of
course that means no X, so having midnight commander was pretty
convenient.

> Midnight Commander is something that has as many uses as there are
> people using it. It's great for poking around directories, copying and
> moving files, and you've still got a command prompt there all the time.

  I also liked the command line option, I found that you could also run
other programs from within mc, nice when you're in a rush.

> I use it a lot for reading documents. Formatted documents like man
> pages come up really nicely when you hit F3 on them. That's handy
> when snooping inside a gzipped file like a FreeBSD package.

 When I first guified my desktop with X I found filerunner, and used that
for awhile. I noticed that when I went back to mc in an xterm it was
actually quicker and alot better for viewing things like the handbook and
FAQ, since then I've added mc back to my desktop and use filerunner only
when I'm in a lazy mood.

> Recently I discovered how easy it makes FTP. I like the normal FTP most
> of the time because it's quick and simple, but with Midnight Commander
> you can browse and tag files on the remote system and then shoot them
> across to the chosen local directory with a single keystroke.

 FTP, yes another nice little feature, I guess you can say midnight
commander is quite the little powerhouse.

> There's a nasty trick in the new version: previously the command to
> start it was 'mc' but they changed that to 'midc' recently.
>
> And no, you've never needed linux emulation to run it. Just install
> from
> the package, type 'midc' and go for it! When you want to get out press
> F10 (or Esc 0 if your function keys don't work). And if you start
> exploring and get into something you regret, pressing Esc twice quickly
> usually backs you out, and of course F1 is Help.

 I've got an old vt220 (dumb terminal) that I use from time to time, mc
works great in that situation, also that's where I first ran into not
having the fkeys and had to get into the habit of the esc + num
combination.