Date:      	Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:59:40 +0200
From:      Frank Ederveen <frank@our.domaintje.com>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP performance decrease?

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 03:49:35PM +0400, Alexander B. Povolotsky wrote:
> Here are the results:
>
> Test                            Non-SMP      SMP
> arith (double)                   27.5        28.1
> Drystone 2 (no reg. vars)        23.6        24.1
> Execl thoughput                  90.8        46.8   <- ???
> File copy                        35.1        37.7
> Pipe-based context switching     20.4         9.0   <- ???
> Shell scripts (8 concurrent)     12.8        12.2   <- ???
>
> I don't understand why execl throughput and context switching is TWICE
> slower in SMP mode, and I doesn't understand AT ALL why shell script
> benchmark isn't twice faster.

I don't know Benchbyte, but maybe these are times in seconds and
lower is better? Also, unless you have an automatic multi threading
compiler like Convex has the second cpu doesn't do you much good
if you only run one process in your benchmark.

Try making a kernel or buildworld with -j 2 in single and dual cpu
mode?

Regards,

FrankE