Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 10:46:13 -0500
From:      Erik Greenwald <erik@smluc.org>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contributing to Ports

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 03:07:08AM -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> I'd like to start contributing to ports in a lot more earnest then before.
>
> I want to basically try and build all the ports and fix problems where
> they occur, but I would like to change the install directory to say
> /usr/local/ports so that I don't kill the rest of my system.
>
> I don't think changing
> LOCALBASE?=             ${DESTDIR}/usr/local
> X11BASE?=               ${DESTDIR}/usr/X11R6
> PKG_DBDIR?=             /var/db/pkg
>
> is they're any easy way to do this or documentation ?

hrmmm, I haven't worried about trashing my system doing ports, it's a
pretty safe thing to do I think. When I think my port is ready for
submitting, I do have a bare minimal jail that I use to check
dependancies and cleaning in, you may consider doing that as a 'safe'
playground. That would be totally divorced from your base system... if
the software tries to install ignoring the prefix, it can't over-write
anything critical. If it screws up badly, you can always just purge the
jail directory and build a new one :) About the only thing jails can't
give you a safe playground for is kernel hacking...

> END
>
> Philip M. Gollucci philip@p6m7g8.com 301.474.9294 301.646.3011 (cell)

<snip>

--
        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.