Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 18:30:59 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun.jurrens@stud.uni-regensburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 or ed1?

Shaun Jurrens wrote:

> Ahh, guys, the ed driver is a isa driver.

Really?

root@magnesium:~# dmesg | grep ed1
ed1: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> rev 0x00 int a irq 11 on pci0.12.0
ed1: address 00:e0:7d:81:87:27, type NE2000 (16 bit)

Maybe it was designed to be an ISA driver, but it certainly supports this
PCI card.

> Confer with the man page [man 4 ed] You should use the rl driver [rl0
> in this case]

If the ed driver works, why should I change? If the rl driver is faster,
that's a good enough reason (provided CPU utilization doesn't also go
through the roof). I may try rl though, and compare speeds.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and