Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:26:08 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: find | cpio syntax

Patrick O'Reilly(bsd@perimeter.co.za)@2002.03.28 11:02:28 +0000:
> From: "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
>

> > Greetings,
> >
> > Can anyone provide the syntax for remotely copying files from a remote
> > machine to another using find | cpio | ssh?  I'd like to pipe the
> output
> > over ssh to the local machine and store the file as a gzip or tar.gz
> file
> > archive.
> >
> > Can anyone lend a hand?
> >

> If you want to keep it as a .tgz, then why not use tar in the first
> place (instead of find | cpio) ?
>
> I did this and it worked fine:
> # cd /local/path/to/be/tarred
> # tar czf /tmp/1.tgz .
> # scp /tmp/1.tgz myuserid@hostname.com:/full/path/to/remote/tarball.tgz
>
> I did try:
> # tar czf - . ; scp -
> myuserid@hostname.com:/full/path/to/remote/tarball.tgz
> but that did horrible things to my terminal, so don't do it :)
>
> To create the archive on a remote box, then fetch it back, try this:
> # ssh myuserid@hostname.com "tar czf /tmp/1.tgz
> /remote/path/to/be/tarred"
> # scp myuserid@hostname.com:/tmp/1.tgz /full/path/to/local/tarball.tgz
>
> You can also do scp between two remote hosts, I believe, but I have
> never tried it.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick O'Reilly.

Yes, but tar doesn't preserve file ownerships.  The idea is to use find to
give a pathspec to cpio which will write to stdout which is piped to ssh
to a remote machine where the tgzi file is built.

If there is limited space on the remote machine I cannot make a tgz of its
filesystem.  But if i can write everything to stdout which is piped to ssh
i can store the compressed file on the local machine which has the space.

Any further ideas?
--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48