Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 10:04:14 +0100
From:      Byron Schlemmer <me@byron.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/hosts

Hi folks,

I'm sure this is a trivial question however I'm struggling to find a definative answer, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. /etc/hosts, does it resolve names to IPs, IPs to names, or both? Does gethostbyname() and gethostbyaddr() both query /etc/hosts? Does it just depend on the application.

--

	-byron

--

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
       -- Henry Spencer