Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:50:30 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrecord stopped working with 4.2 upgrade

>> Ok... can we have this requirement documented somewhere?  Perhaps the
>> pkg-descr file for the port?  That would have been a timesaver!

WB> 'man ktrace' for a way to debug this sort of things.

The ktrace output was not so helpful yesterday.  The error was
reported when trying to open /dev/xpt0 like this:

 60742 cdrecord CALL  open(0x8067a2b,0x2,0xbfbfdf54)
 60742 cdrecord NAMI  "/dev/xpt0"
 60742 cdrecord RET   open 3
 60742 cdrecord CALL  break(0x8081000)
 60742 cdrecord RET   break 0
 60742 cdrecord CALL  ioctl(0x3,CAMIOCOMMAND,0xbfbfdf38)
 60742 cdrecord RET   ioctl 0
 60742 cdrecord CALL  close(0x3)
 60742 cdrecord RET   close 0
 60742 cdrecord CALL  write(0x2,0xbfbfe170,0x3e)
 60742 cdrecord GIO   fd 2 wrote 62 bytes
       "cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

Reading the man page for xpt we see:

     There is no kernel configuration required for the xpt driver.  It is en-
     abled when SCSI support is enabled in the kernel.  There is one instance

I guess it requires "device pass" in the configuration to be useful.