Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:29:26 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM86 and APM

> > Does anybody know of any problem using VM86 and the apm driver together?
..
> > apm0 not found.
>
> I think that you may have APM disabled in your CMOS setup?

Doesn't matter, since having APM disabled means it's disabled.  If it's
disabled, it's not found by *ANY* means

> I think the APM VM86() call will detect this because it uses
> BIOS-specific code that knows about the CMOS setting, but the
> non-VM86() code ignores the CMOS setting (which can cause other,
> interesting problems, like being able to suspend, but the laptop
> not waking up on an event that should result in a "resume").

Not.  We used to use our own VM86 switcher to do the probe earlier, and
Mike converted to use the GENERIC VM86 switcher.  If it worked before,
it *should* work now (modulo any bugs, which is essentially the
problem the poster is pointing out).

Nate