Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:16:35 -0900
From:      "Mark Weisman" <mark@mystic1.net>
To:        "Luke Kearney" <lukek@meibin.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Hardware problems or Software problems

Luke,
  If I may offer you my two cents. Many newer systems come standard with
125W power supplies which will probably power the motherboard, that's
usually about all. By the time you add several PCI cards and several
hard drives, you've overloaded the power supply. Typically overlooked,
this one small gadget is responsible for providing enough power to light
everything.=20
  My advice here, if you are running more than one drive (CD included),
and have more than one peripheral device, I would start with a 350W
power supply and move up depending. Now I'm not saying this is your
problem, however, I will say that the symptoms for failing power
supplies can be almost anything that pushes over that last hump. A
simple Read/Write operation from the drive or memory could be all it
needs to shut itself down. Hope this helps.

Res Ipsa Loquitor,
Mark-Nathaniel Weisman
Site Master
Mystic_One Internet Gaming Server