Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:33:31 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Krzysztof =?iso-8859-2?Q?Ciep=B3ucha?= <kris@home.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with GEOM_MIRROR

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 14:33, Krzysztof Ciepłucha wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>
> > +> sysctl -b kern.geom.conftxt still shows labels like da0a .. da0f, and
> > +> the mirror is still starting synchronization after every restart.
> >
> > I haven't check it yet, but maybe this is because of swap partition.
> > On shutdown, file systems are unmounted, but I think swap paritition is not.
> > Could you try to remove swap partition from fstab and try again?
>
> ok, you were right. after turning off swap the system starts without
> synchronizing whole mirror.
> and the 'sysctl -b kern.geom.conftxt' command doesn't show labels like
> da0a anymore. this is what i expected.

I use a RAIDframe RAID 1 mirror on my NetBSD/alpha system.  There, they
have a "swapoff" rc.conf variable that you should set to "YES" to have
block swap devices removed (via "swapctl -U -t blk") during the rc.d
shutdown sequence.

Before that was introduced, I found that my /dev/raid1b swap device
would initiate a parity rebuild upon reboot (presumably because it
hadn't quiesced prior to shutdown).

What does geom_mirror do with respect to quiescing prior to shutdown?

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu