Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 01:35:00 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdstab@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        drussell@saturn-tech.com (Doug Russell)
Cc:        jayrich@room101.sysc.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ide bus mastering

> On the other hand, I don't know of any cases where the DMA driver messed
> up either, so perhaps we could all get together and make a decision as to
> whether it is "good" enough to go into -stable yet.

i dunno which one it was, probably rather my drive...

last wednesday my wd34000 udma and asus tx97-e fell over for some
unknown reason.

what i had after that was mostly just files listed as inodes on all
filesystems that i had running at the moment...

since i lost parts of /dev and all /var (not /var/mail or /var/log
which are separate silesystems) there wasnt much left i could boot up...

good for me, things like /usr /usr/ports /usr/src all live in other
filesystems, and /home too (lost parts of it also, no big deal)

ofcourse, i recovered easily, took new drive, had to install 2.2.2
into it, didnt have other cdroms available, and then copied my
-current leftovers over it.

booted up as -current in less than an hour.

facts:

1. i dont like wd34000, the drive i had acted strangely few times
2. i was running on 83MHz bus speed, i never slow that down
3. i was running filesystems async,noatime

so basicly, i asked to blow up my filesystem, and i'm in no way
saying it was the dma code.

oh yeah, more facts:

5. i'm getting few small scsi drives, i'm sick of eide  =)
6. i didnt lose anything i'd miss

mickey