Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:56:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org, ports-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple versions of tcl/tk

 * > (tk.h and tkConfig.sh) in subdirectories so that ports that require a
               ^^^^^^^^^^^

 * This is a problem, Satoshi.  The file involved is tkConfig.sh.  It's the
 * one that all the other ports query for all their information, before
 * they're installed (during their build).  It's really the key one, since
 * all the other hiding has to be announced inside that file.

I don't think it has anything about the include files though.  (It
only has "root of platform-indepent files" (i.e., /usr/local).

 * Ports look for it now in /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/include.  If you
 * want to do what you're talking about above, I would guess that the right
 * thing to do *might be* to hide multiple copies of the tkConfig.sh file
 * (for whatever version is involved) inside your version-specific hierarchy,
 * and take the hit on extra work configuring new tcl/tk applications.  This
 * means breaking all the automatic configurations for stuff that people put
 * in their machines *other than* stuff coming from our ports method.
 *
 * Is this what you want to do?

Yes, that was what I meant (see ^^^^ above).  Sorry if I wasn't clear.
To leave no ambiguity this time, here are the two symlinks I intend to
create:

/usr/local/include/tk.h -> tk4.1/generic/tk.h
/usr/local/lib/tkConfig.sh -> tk4.1/tkConfig.sh

for non-default (i.e., not 4.1) versions, the files will move but the
symlinks won't be created.

Satoshi