Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:30:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fstab problem 2.2.6 I had fixed. (fwd)

Man what a hassle.  It started when I changed the name of /dev/wda0
trying to upgrade to 2.2.6.  Anyways if someone can tell me
what to do to get my new kernel built with 2.2.6 src regarding
this hard drive thing I would appreciate that.

Ok this is what I did
rebooted the system kernel.old
did fsck -p
did mount -o rw -u /etc ***** instead of mount -u / *****
	got error messages but so what !!!
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a
cd /etc
vi fstab
	***** note when id did df it showed /dev/wda0 ...etc ..  /
	****** Since the 2.2.6 upgrade is what started this and
	******* maybe it may happen to others more often maybe
		this information may help someone else. ********

	Had to blink twice to see if the fixit and boot floppies
	were really sitting on my desk.  They were ?

Anyways I diddled with the information that I got off the archives.
	must of tried for hours to get this to work.  Got a piece of
	information here and piece of information there.
	I'm still not sure what and if the exact steps are
	that fixed the problem if it was mounting /etc or if it was
	booting kernel.old

If I were more of a technical person I would write up information
on using the fixit floppie.  I couldn't find anything regards to that.
I'm happy now that my system is back up and running.  I really have
to work on understanding how to get my  tapedrive working.
I have one but haven't worked on that yet.  That and my soundcard
are my next projects.....or next to my next projects.
Would appreciate any info that would help me boot my new kernel 2.2.6 build
!  Don't want to mess up fstab again

Thank You !

Stephen A. Derdau
"So What if it is wrong. I am getting closer to the right answer!"
"If I had a nickle for every time I was wrrong , I would want a quarter
instead. :-)"