Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:42:57 -0500
From:      "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Has the Procedure for Regenerating A FreeBSD Installation Disk Changed?

 Roland Smith writes:
> Although I don't have FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso around, I
> tried
> the
> tar command with FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso and that unpacks
> just
> fine.

	I've got to be doing something wrong. The system I just
tried this on is

FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p12 (GENERIC) #0: Tue Apr 29 22:02:25 UTC 2014

I downloaded the FreeBSD10 image and ran:

#!/bin/sh
mkdir headless
 tar -C headless -pxf FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso

This produced a similar flood of "Can't create" errors and it
doesn't matter in this case if I do this as me or root.
	I looked up the -C option for tar and it uses the next
argument as the top of the tree for the file extractions. In
this case, that is the directory headless and all that is
working as expected.

Martin