Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:48:46 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AHA2940 driver

>Is anyone actually using this driver?  I just bought a new machine with

I wrote the driver, but until this Monday, never had any PCI hardware
to test it on.  Now that I do, it is my hope to get all of the aic7870
problems worked out.

>a 2940 attached to a 1GB HP driver and had an unpleasant time installing
>-current on it.  I started with the boot&cpio from the last snapshot and
>while this managed to get past the probe, it was not able to read the
>bootsector or disklabel.
>
>OK, fine, I thought, I'll copy the GENERIC kernel from current.  This
>failed miserably in the probe for SCSI devices with messages like:
>
>ahc0: target 1, lun 0 (probe0) requests Check Status
>ahc0: target 1, lun 0 (probe0) Sending Sense

These first two should happen anytime you mount a partition.  They are
perfectly normal.  The target reports a problem, so we go out and ask
it what its problem is.

>ahc0: WARNING no command for scb %d (cmdcmplt)
>QOUTCNT == 0
>ahc0: board not responding

Sounds like a stray interrupt or something else in the sequencer code that
is upseting the sequencer and causing it to generate the interrupt.  I
ran into the same types of quirks in the aic7770.  Hopefully, now that I
have the hardware, it won't take me long to fix the same types of problems
for the aic7870.

>I turned on some of the SCSI debugging messages and the swine started
>working (slowly because of all the printfs).  After staring at the code,
>I am convinced the problem is caused by the first message (requests Check
>Status) confusing ahcintr and/or ahc_poll.  I commented out the code
>which does the Sending Sense part and everything started working.  I
>still get the Check Status message whenever a partition is opened.
>
>All this is with the BIOS set to use Asynchonous SCSI for the drive in
>question.  I have tried synchronous but that doesn't work at all.

Watch this list for announcements about the driver.  Once I think that the
aic7870 support is solid, I'll post something about it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1