Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 19:02:30 +0100
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acrobat problems?

According to David Dawes:
> The current 24bpp implementation in XFree86 is quite different from most
> others in that it uses a depth 24 pixmap format with bits-per-pixel also
> 24 (most others -- including Xig's X server -- have bits-per-pixel 32
> for their depth 24 pixmap format).  Checking the output of xdpyinfo will

I recently had similar problems when playing with shared pixmaps and
gathered a few xdpyinfos from friends, and consistently got 32
bits-per-pixel on 24 bits depths with XFree (they all got Matrox
cards however I believe, so take this with a grain of salt) :

vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    3310
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32

This one was under FreeBSD, I got others under Linux with the same
results.

I don't know much about XFree internals, maybe it might depend on
differences between the S3 server and others?

> Doing what the XFree86 servers currently do in this regard is quite
> valid from an X11 point of view, but many clients cannot cope with it.

I agree. Many clients were written when 8 bits or monochrome displays
were the norm and were never tested on 16, 24 or 32 bits displays.
The more general implementation of this stuff I have seen so far is
the libxpm.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr