Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 21:16:31 -0800
From:      fod@netcom.com (Frank O'Donnell)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86-3.1 install hangs, and misc

First I wanted to thank those who helped me with the
previous problem I had booting FreeBSD 2.0 on a second
hard drive.

I'm now running into the following problems, if anyone has
any comment.  I've been installing FreeBSD 2.0 from the
January 95 Walnut Creek CD-ROM on the second of two 522-MB
hard drives on a 486DX2-66 with 16 MB RAM (the entire second
drive is devoted to FreeBSD).

1)  Although the bindist and several other items install ok,
the XFree86-3.1 install has hung a couple of times on me now.
With bindist (~40 megs in size), it does some cksum checking
for about three minutes, then the install takes about 15
minutes.  When I try to install XFree86-3.1, it does a similar
amount of cksum checking (seeing the CD-ROM access light on,
plus occasional hard-disk access), then the menu says it's
installing, but at this point nothing further happens, no
CD-ROM or hard drive access.  I thought maybe it took a while,
but I gave it well over an hour with no result.  Is there a
known bug here, or something in what I'm doing?

2)  I also wanted to get a few packages like Emacs, which are
not in the bininst menu, installed.  I gather from some messages
on comp.os.386bsd.bugs that pkg_add is the utility to add
individual packages.  However, I'm having some trouble getting
my CD-ROM drive (Mitsumi) mounted.  I've tried
"/stand/mount_cd9660 /dev/mcd0 /cdrom" and other permutations
(/dev/mcd0a, etc) without success.  Could someone walk me
through what I need to do to mount the CD-ROM drive and
install other packages?

3)  The troubleshooting doc says that, if I'm booting FreeBSD
off my second hard drive, when the boot manager comes up I have
to type in "wd(1,a)/kernel" everytime or hack the boot manager
code (or wait for FreeBSD 2.1).  I don't mind hacking the code,
but since I'm still learning Unix, rather than installing all
the source and wading through it, I wonder if there is a simple
byte I can change on my first hard drive with an MS-DOS utility
like Norton Disk Editor.  I've used this to look at the boot
sector and see various stuff that seems to pertain to the
boot manager -- is it possible to say something like, "To change
the default boot drive from wd(0,a) to wd(1,a), you change the
byte at offset xyz from 0 to 1," or something like that?

4)  I notice that if I run a FreeBSD session then shut down,
warm- boot and run MS-DOS, there are a couple of peculiarities.
First, as Windows starts, I get an error from Soundblaster 16
saying the midiport configuration in system.ini is wrong.
Second, my Hayes 144 internal modem doesn't respond to its
usual initialization string or dial commands.  Both of these
are fixed if I power the machine off and on to coldboot, and
then start a DOS/Windows session.  Is it possible that in its
probe of the machine's hardware FreeBSD is writing something
out to ports or whatever that is leaving the hardware in a
funny state?

Thanks for any help on any of the above,

Frank
fod@netcom.com