Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 13:54:03 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ls_length in struct linker_set

<<On Thu, 27 Jul 95 11:33:19 MDT, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:

> Consider that most of the items that get "linker sets" have manifest
> constant kernel options to get them in in the first place.

The entire intent of my work in this area was to ELIMINATE the
manifest constants in the first place.  It should be possible to add a
new static filesystem to a kernel simply by dropping in an object
module, with no recompilation necessary.

> Then consider that you might have a non-self-hosted porting environment
> that doesn't support linker sets. 8-).

Using whose linker?  I considered this question for all of five
minutes, and concluded that it was not worth any more thought, since
anything that we do with these things can be trivially implemented
using C++ constructors, and any reasonable build environment will
provide some facility for making C++ work.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.