Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:29:14 -0500
From:      "Robert H. Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        Lee Harr <missive@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to Handle Stale Dependencies in pkgdb -F

Lee Harr wrote:

>> Just ran my weekly cvsup program followed by portsbd -Uu.  Tried running
>> portsversion -l and received a message indicating that I should run
>> pkgdb -F to deal with a stale dependency.  Note following:
>>
>> Stale dependency: sgmlformat-1.7_2 -> docbook-3.1_2
>> (textproc/docbook-310):
>> docbook-xsl-1.62.3 (score:43%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll)
>>
>> My understanding here is that I'm to choose between the dependency the
>> port has recorded, docbook-3.1_2, or the one installed,
>> docbook-xsl-1.62.3.
>

> Not exactly.  The dependency is recorded as docbook-3.1_2 and it does not
> see that package, so it is suggesting the package it believes is the
> closest
> match. (note however that it only scores docbook-xsl at 43%)
>
>> I took a look at the sgmlformat-1.7_2 port and found the following:
>>
>> R-deps: docbook-1.2_1 docbook-241_2 docbook-3.0_2 docbook-3.1_2
>> docbook-4.0_2 do cbook-4.1_2 iso8879-1986_2 jade-1.2.1_5 linuxdoc-1.1_1
>> xmlcatmgr-1.1
>>

> Seems strange that it would depend on all of those different docbook
> versions. That may be part of the problem... did you uninstall any of
> those (or maybe portupgrade did it for you?)
>
> Looking at the docbook port, it depends on
> dockbook-241,300,310,400, and 410
>

>> I went back to the prompt in the pkgdb program and indicated "no".  This
>> was followed by:
>>

> Good idea, given the low score.
>

>> New dependency? (? to help):
>>
>> Wasn't sure how to respond, so I aborted the program and ran pkgdb -Fa
>> which didn't fix the dependencies either.  It did, however repeat the
>> stale dependency prompt for all 6 of the docbook dependencies shown
>> above.
>>
>> Can anyone help me understand what the program is looking for at the new
>> dependency prompt?  I was about to respond with a delete command but
>> wasnt' sure what I would be deleting?  I did backup /var/db/pkg.
>>

> I think if it were me, I would check to see if the docbook-310 port
> were still
> installed correctly, and if not, install it and then try pkgdb -F again.

Not sure I understanad the need to examine docbook-310.  When I run
pkg_info -ro sgmlformat-1.7_2, I get the following:
Information for sgmlformat-1.7_2:

Depends on:
Dependency: xmlcatmgr-1.1
Dependency: iso8879-1986_2
Dependency: jade-1.2.1_5
Dependency: linuxdoc-1.1_1
Dependency: docbook-4.1_2
Dependency: docbook-4.0_2
Dependency: docbook-3.1_2
Dependency: docbook-3.0_2
Dependency: docbook-241_2
Dependency: docbook-1.2_1
Origin:
textproc/sgmlformat

> Or, since docbook already depends on all of those other docbook
> components,
> maybe you can just point the dependency at the docbook package....

Do you mean that I can answer the "New dependency?" prompt with Ctrl-Del?