Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:22:32 -0700
From:      "JannaDanRich" <house@lvcm.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFILTER or IPFW?

------=_NextPart_000_042B_01C0C949.22F08EC0

I had asked a question hoping that I would get a general, yes you are =
correct, and a suggestion for resolution .. or just hey don't do that! =20

as I reach out once more from the bottom of the food chain in hopes that =
someone could offer a touch of advice, or at least to be familiar with =
the problem to say exactly, or if it is worded poorly, one could advise =
me on how better to script my question .. i.e. filling in blanks etc.

I have 4.3rc running IPFILTER, my firewall ruleset is very simple, =
default block with three rules ....
pass out all proto tcp/udp/icmp from any to any keep state

then two return-rst 's

some logging etc ..=20

My problem comes with FTP, I even changed my rules to read
pass in quick all
pass out quick all

in an attempt to see what is happening with FTP and why I cannot =
connect, it works fine in passive mode, and works fine with gateway out =
of loop, but does not work through the firewall otherwise

I did read somewhere that ipnat could not read from drive when kern =
security level was set to 2 .. which is of course the level at which one =
might expect me to set my firewall box? (this, from the best that I =
could understand was "wouldn't allow me to change rules dynamically .. =
therefore I rebooted machine with pass out all / pass in all")   IPNAT =
works fine, and gives me no worries, except for FTP .. I found no other =
info about this

I also found information that IPFILTER couldn't handle the frag packets =
associated with FTP <this relates specifically to stateful firewalling, =
but since I was passing all and this is an older version, I disregarded =
this info>

any suggestions/recommendations/links?  I can offer up my tcpdump file?

This is ever increasingly important because ftp is a service I would =
like to provide, now that I am finished turning screws on old dual P Pro

Thanks=20
Rich

------=_NextPart_000_042B_01C0C949.22F08EC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had asked a question hoping that I =
would get a=20
general, yes you are correct, and a suggestion for resolution .. or just =
hey=20
don't do that!&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>as I reach out once more from the =
bottom of the=20
food chain in hopes that someone could offer a touch of advice, or at =
least to=20
be familiar with the problem to say exactly, or if it is worded poorly, =
one=20
could advise me on how better to script my question .. i.e. filling in =
blanks=20
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have 4.3rc running IPFILTER, my =
firewall ruleset=20
is very simple, default block with three rules ....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>pass out all proto tcp/udp/icmp from =
any to any=20
keep state</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>then two return-rst 's</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>some logging etc .. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My problem comes with FTP, I even =
changed my rules=20
to read</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>pass in quick all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>pass out quick all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>in an attempt to see what is happening =
with FTP and=20
why I cannot connect, it works fine in passive mode, and works fine with =
gateway=20
out of loop, but does not work through the firewall =
otherwise</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I did read somewhere that ipnat could =
not read from=20
drive when kern security level was set to 2 .. which is of course the =
level at=20
which one might expect me to set my firewall box? (this, from the best =
that I=20
could understand was "wouldn't allow me to change rules dynamically .. =
therefore=20
I rebooted machine with pass out all / pass in all")&nbsp;&nbsp; IPNAT =
works=20
fine, and gives me no worries, except for FTP .. I found no other info =
about=20
this</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also found information that IPFILTER =
couldn't=20
handle the frag packets associated with FTP &lt;this relates =
specifically to=20
stateful firewalling, but since I was passing all and this is an older =
version,=20
I disregarded&nbsp;this info&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>any suggestions/recommendations/links?&nbsp; I can offer up my =
tcpdump=20
file?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is ever increasingly important because ftp is a service I =
would like=20
to provide, now that I am finished turning screws on old dual P =
Pro</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks </DIV>
<DIV>Rich</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_042B_01C0C949.22F08EC0--