Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 12:02:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, erich@uruk.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running SMP

> However, Bruce Evans is/was working in a different direction.  He wants to
> remove the 'struct i386tss' from the process context and use a much
> smaller structure.  The structure that holds the user process context at
> interrupt would be instead be in a static place and itself context
> switched on traps etc. If I understand what he's doing, this will make SMP
> support harder, and makes VM86, user_ldt etc stuff harder too, because
> some processes will need a full i386tss, while others will use the shared
> one etc, and as well, for SMP, you need a shared tss per cpu, and need to
> figure out which one you are using at trap/context switch time etc.  I'm
> not sold on Bruce's idea yet, I've got my "wait and see" hat on, to see
> how much work it'll cause us on SMP.

On the other hand, it will make it portable to non-TSS-using systems.

I'm really torn on this, because I want real VM86 support.  8-(.

> - Safe boot straps of the non-booting cpus (ie: generate a PTD with the
> 0MB P==V mapping)
> - this PTD is used on a per-cpu basis for the idle loop (yes, it's back!)

With a real halt?

> Does anybody have documentation on the IO apic?  I've got enough detail on
> the local apic, but the IO apic is a real problem.  We're stuck in the
> painful "dumb" mode where all cpus get all interrupts in parallel with
> each other until we can get some details on the IO apic.  (somebody
> pointed me to something from intel, but I can't find the reference anymore)

I thought I had pointed you to the www.intel.com page for the IO
chip, and there's now a 1.2 MP document on their site, which goes into
more detail on virtual wire (the mode I think we want to use to
anonymize which procesor has to take which interrupt).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.