Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:23:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      root@uni-bielefeld.de
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/19375: makekey accepts only 8-byte Passwords (noninteractive password change)

>Number:         19375
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       makekey accepts only 8-byte password
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

	Freebsd 3.4-RELEASE i386

	There is the need to change user passwords non-interactively over a
	privisioning system.

	adduser: does nothing cause the user exists
	chpass : interactively reads from /dev/tty
		 or you need makekey to encrypt the passwd
	passwd : only interactive usable

	So the focus came to makekey, which reads a fixed length of 8 chars
	for the password and 2 chars for the salt. So one can't set a 7 byte
	pasword.

	Also the documentation isn't very usefull.

>How-To-Repeat:

	/usr/libexec/makekey

>Fix:
A very complicated "hack" is

	  echo -e "secret\0\0Sa" | /usr/libexec/makekey

	this is equivalent to

	  echo -e "secret\0 Sa" | /usr/libexec/makekey

	cause the \0 ist the implicit end of string in C.

	The very best would be an adduser script which allows the change of
	the password with a flag, like

	adduser -c -p <clear-text-password>

	or a chpass with this option. Sure, it's better to transfer the
	password encrypted, but than we need a better makekey to do the job.