Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:22:25 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Greg Eden <greg@wholemeal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck crash: bad inode number to nextinode

On 11/24/06 03:31, Greg Eden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm try to recover a RAID5 volume which was badly corrupted when a
> drive was removed during a rebuild. It contained about 1 TB of data
> and was formatted with default values under FreeBSD 6.0-R.
>
> I have used dd to image the drive onto another volume and am mounting
> it with mdconfig so I can work on that an not cause futher damage.
> However when I run fsck_ufs on the /dev/md0 partition it eventually
> crashes out during Phase 1 with
>
> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=42151497
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
> CLEAR? yes
>
> fsck_ufs: bad inode number 42158080 to nextinode
>
> Is it possible to work around this to get fsck to complete?
>
> It is possible to mount the partition and some of the data is there,
> however most of it is not.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help. I have previously posted to freebsd-
> questions without a response.

I've seen this before with really badly UFS filesystems, where the
cylinder groups were mangled.  I couldn't think of a good way to have
fsck fix this, since you can't really guess at the inode information,
and so the only option is really to just 'delete' the inode information,
but that wasn't clear to me how to do that safely.

You would probably be best served by running one of the various tools
(in source and also in ports) that try to recover files themselves from
a dd'ed image.

Eric

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.