Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:54:46 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drm2 again

On 10/31/18 6:28 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
> It's me, again.
>
> With the branching for freebsd-12, the top-of-tree
> (aka freebsd13) has introduced knobs that prevent
> the building and installation of drm and drm2.  These
> knobs have been set to 't'.  Thus, my last world
> update did not install the in-tree drm and drm2.
> So, it seemed like a good time to switch to one of
> the drm ports (as suggested by src/UPDATING).
>
> graphics/drm-legacy-kmod is simply broken, which has
> been previously reported.
>
> graphics/drm-stable-kmod fills /var/log/messages with
>
> Oct 30 14:50:35 troutmask kernel: fence_wait returned with error -512
> Oct 30 14:50:35 troutmask syslogd: last message repeated 10 times
> Oct 30 16:30:16 troutmask kernel: fence_wait returned with error -512
> Oct 30 16:30:16 troutmask syslogd: last message repeated 4 times
>
> It seems that setting WITHOUT_DRM_MODULE=t and
> WITHOUT_DRM2_MODULE=t is premature.
>
> Yes, I am aware that I can set WITH_MODULE_DRM and
> WITH_MODULE_DRM2 in /usr/src.conf, and recover the
> missing in-tree modules.
>
> PS: /usr/src/UPDATING spells the WITHOUT_* knobs as for
> example WITHOUT_DRM2_MODULE while src.conf(8) documents
> a WITH_MODULE_DRM2 knob.  I suspect UPDATING is wrong.
>
> % find /usr/src -name \*.mk | xargs grep _DRM
> /usr/src/sys/conf/kern.opts.mk:    MODULE_DRM \
> /usr/src/sys/conf/kern.opts.mk:    MODULE_DRM2 \
> % find /usr/src -name Make\* | xargs grep _DRM
> /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:.if ${MK_MODULE_DRM} != "no"
> /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:.if ${MK_MODULE_DRM2} != "no"
> /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:.if ${MK_MODULE_DRM} != "no"
> /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:.if ${MK_MODULE_DRM2} != "no"

Hi!
Can you provide more information about your system?  Which architecture
are you using, and what graphics hardware do you have?

What are the errors you are seeing with drm-legacy-kmod?  That should be
a drop in replacement for what's in base, it is the exact same code, the
only difference is changes to make it load firmware from
gpu-firmware-kmod instead of the firmware blobs in base.

When building your own kernel, as is always the case on CURRENT, you
need to build the drm kmods from ports, rather than use the preexisting
packages.  It is OK to build these from ports while still using packages
for the rest of your system.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising