Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:28:58 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        jake@locore.ca, perforce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 19167 for review

* De: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> [ Data: 2002-10-12 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: PERFORCE change 19167 for review ]
> In message: <20021012200435.D17643@locore.ca>
>             Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca> writes:
> : Its often easier to just write a program that converts a binary from
> : elf to <insert wierd format>.  We do this for sparc64 where the prom
> : wants an a.out binary (elf2aout), and I'm pretty sure for alpha which
> : might actually use COFF (elf2exe).
>
> Actually, objcopy does that fairly well in most cases.  And we (or
> NetBSD) already has an elf2coff and an elf2aout.  I think that NetBSD
> is migrating to the former, but I can't be 100% sure.  I gotta get my
> NetBSD arc box up and running since it requires ECOFF of a weird
> flavor to boot...

Much like some older flavors of SGI :/

I think you mean XCOFF?  That's what some early OFW Macs use, and I seem
to recall having a discussion with Benno about an elf2xcoff.  I was
never able to find adequate docs of the differences between {e,}coff
and xcoff to give it a go :/

And yeah, objcopy should be enough, I'd forgotten about that.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org