Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2017 09:55:55 +0100
From:      Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFT upgrade to xorg 1.18.4 and newer intel/ati DDX

--Sig_/fk+5pJNV5nlDH8NlwmA22lq

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:55:16 +0100
Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> This is a call for testing for newer Xorg along with newer drivers: intel=
 and
> ati.
>=20
> The patch against the head ports: https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/newxor=
g.diff
>=20
> Note that you would need to rebuild all the xf86-* packages to work with =
that
> newer xorg (hence the bump of the revision)
>=20
> Do not expect newer gpu supported as this is not the kernel part.
>=20
> If you experience any issue with intel or radeon driver please try to use=
 the
> new modesetting driver provided by xorg directly (note that fedora and de=
bian
> recommands to use that new driver instead of the ati/intel one)
>=20
> To use that driver:
>=20
> cat /usr/local/etc/xorg.conf.d/modesetting.conf
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "Card0"
>     Driver "modesetting"
> EndSection
>=20
> You need to first load the kms driver eiter via loader.conf or manually v=
ia
> kldload
>=20
> Best regards,
> Bapt of behalf of the X11 team

Looks good with x11/nvidia driver!

In related matters, I noticed that parts of the stack (libclc) require/use =
llvm 3.9 while the main body (mesa related ports) still use llvm 3.7. I che=
rry picked very few changes from mesa 12.0 and 13.0 and was able to build g=
raphics/libEGL and graphics/dri with llvm 3.9 too:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mazhe/e094ac71ae25d40d46fd49510311204e/r=
aw/aca8404c14693a3779d618c3c920a97a7fb620fb/ports_mesa_llvm39.diff

As a nvidia driver user, I guess most of mesa is shortcutted in my config, =
but maybe that would be of interest to other people?=20

-- Matthieu Volat