Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Console messages

> When I'm working at the system console under FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE, kernel
> messages pop up on the screen and interrupt my work. Is there a way to
> direct these messages to a single virtual console (The kernel is built for
> four right now) rather than to whichever virtual console I'm working on?
> This way, I could switch to one of the virtual consoles (say, ttyv0) to see
> the messages, but would not be interrupted when I was working in
> another....

 Hmm .. yes but there are a couple of things that you need to be aware
of.. look in /etc/syslog.conf. You will notice that some things goto
the console like:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console

and that some things goto whom-ever is logged in as root like:

*.err                                           root
*.notice;auth.debug                             root
*.alert                                         root

So if you are not loggin in a root, the messages should be going to
the console... which _should_ only be ttyv0 .. if it is also going to
the rest of the "consoles" then you probably have another problem.

 Read the syslog.conf manpage and make the changes necessary. Don;'t
forget to "kick" syslogd with:

	kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

 -branson

PS I have included my syslog.conf... I log every thing seperately,
and you may find it useful. Especially if your machine becomes a
centrally logging host. ( which is very useful ;-)

#
# syslog configuration file.
#
#

*.err;kern.notice;user.none		/dev/console

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err;user.none		operator
*.alert;user.none				root

*.emerg;user.none				*

auth.debug					/var/log/auth
cron.debug					/var/log/cron
daemon.debug				/var/log/daemon
kern.debug					/var/log/kern
local0.debug				/var/log/local0
local1.debug				/var/log/local1
local2.debug				/var/log/local2
local3.debug				/var/log/local3
local4.debug				/var/log/local4
local5.debug				/var/log/local5
local6.debug				/var/log/local6
local7.debug				/var/log/local7
lpr.debug				/var/log/lpr
mail.debug				/var/log/mail
news.debug				/var/log/news
user.debug				/var/log/user
uucp.debug				/var/log/uucp
mark.debug				/var/log/mark

*.debug;auth.none;cron.none;daemon.none;kern.none;local0.none;local1.none;local2.none;local3.none;local4.none;local5.none;local6.none;local7.none;lpr.none;mail.none;news.none;user.none;uucp.none	/var/log/other

branson matheson    |     branson@widomaker.com
Ferguson SysAdmin   |      http://widomaker.com/~branson