Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:08:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no, aa8vb@ipass.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt848 corruption since upgrading to 3.1. Has DMA code changed?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Also, the display freezes whenever I move a window over, but I'd assume
> > that's standard behaviour.
>
> this is because fxtv switches from direct video access to using X11
> calls, and this causes a huge overload on the system (for moving
> video data).
> in this respect fxtv should be a bit more adaptive -- when switching to
> use X11 it should really work one or two frames at a time and try to
> synchronize with the server.

fxtv doesn't use the clipping features provided by the bktr driver/hardware.
When a ConfigureNotify event is received, fxtv stops are restarts the
conversion. With the window partially obscured, fxtv won't use direct
video. It should track the windows above in the sibling stack and
set the clip array. This would allow the hardware to continue to use dma.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137