Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:40:24 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Peter I. Hansen" <peterih@image.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot from floppy

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 02:56:51AM +0200, Peter I. Hansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just Installed a freeBSD 4.1 on my slave harddrive, and wonder how I
> can make a boot floppy for it.
> I don't want to write in my MBR because i'm totally paranoid (I've
> messed it up before), and would like to make my OS selection by
> inserting the right floppy.
> I'm currently not able to boot my freeBSD.
>
> I'm very new tu this OS and need very precise instructions for creating
> the floppy.
> I have access to a working Linux, and a win98 system.
> My freeBSD is installed on the first partition on my slave harddrive. I
> think its called ad1sd1 or somethong like that.

ITYM, ad1s1.

Start with a floppy with the kern.flp image on it. First, nuke some of
the stuff on it,

  # mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
  # rm /mnt/kernel.gz /mnt/boot/loader.rc

The easiest thing to do is to make the system boot from the second
drive from the start,

  # echo '1:ad(1,1,a)/boot/loader' > /mnt/boot.config

This is actually how my machine works. I keep a Tripwire floppy in the
FDD and I boot from the second HDD (the other drive is
FreeBSD-CURRENT).

That should be it.

As to how to boot up your system in order to make this floppy, put in
the kern.flp (I assume that's how you did it?), and hit a key at the
very, very begining of the boot process. You should get something
like,

  >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
  Default: 1:ad(0,a)/kernel

  boot:

Now type in the same string that was placed in boot.config above.