Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:45:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   error with install, "Unable to make device nodes..."

[ sorry if you get this twice, it didn't seem to go through the first time ]

I'm having a problem trying to install the 12/20/99 -current snapshot. When I
finalize all the settings and sysinstall is about to partition/setup the drive I
get the following message:

  Unable to make device node of /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
  The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

If I switch to the second virtual terminal it says:

  DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for root filesystem
  DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for swap partitions
  DEBUG: MakeDev: Unable to lookup user "root".
   [ last line repeated several times ]

The drive I'm installing on is a Seagate ST36451A IDE drive. I've tried
switching between Auto and User(with proper geometry values) in the BIOS but
neither worked. Is this a user error or is there something else wrong here? I
checked the mailing lists but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks,

Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
Fredericksburg, VA
ICQ# 882073