Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:24:27 -0500
From:      "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hardware group <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dell laptop problems

Hello, all,

  Well, I *thought* I had this stupid machine working...

  When I boot the machine (2.1.5R) with the 3Com pc-card in it, these
symptoms are a little less annoying, but they're still there:

  When I boot the machine, it runs SLOOOOOW (75Mhz Pentium).  If I boot
with -c, and then do 'vi' I get 'blocky' response: it does a few lines
of text, waits for 60 seconds, does a little more, etc.  If I do
anything like press X to expand everything, I still wait.

  When I'm finally done, it hangs for about 3-4 minutes trying to find
psm0, which I've configured correctly, I think.

  It finds all the devices, eventually.  It also wants to hang on wd0
when it finds it.

  Finally, after init starts, I have to press Ctrl-C a few times to get
it to finish the sequence of startups.  When the system is all done
booting, it seems to run fine when I login as root.

  Can anyone shed any light on what I might be doing wrong?

  Some of this behaviour is inconsistent: for example sometimes the CPU
identification runs quickly (1-3 seconds), but other times it takes a
couple of minutes.

  I'm guessing maybe something's wrong with the BIOS settings, but I
would have no idea where to start.

  Thanks in advance, guys,

    Matt
--