Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:02:21 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Bill Baird" <gick@netzero.net>
Subject:   Re: "make" from file not ftp

From: "Bill Baird" <gick@netzero.net>
Subject: "make" from file not ftp

> I am trying to install Mozilla using the make command.  Its looking
for the
> ftp server not the directory that I am in.  Is there a way that I
can tell
> it where to look or change the defalt. Trying to get up and running
on the
> net. Thanks for the help.

My answer is based on reading between the lines above, and my
assumptions are as follows:

 1.  you're 'making' Mozilla from a directory under /usr/ports/,
        utilizing the 'ports system.'

 2.  you are not able to connect the FBSD box to the Internet.

 3.  you don't have the source file(s) for Mozilla already loaded
        into your FBSD box.

Please understand that the FBSD ports system is a collection
of files which tells FBSD how to obtain source code from the
Internet, modify it for FBSD, and install it on the system.  Unless
you have specifically obtained the proper 'tarballed' source code
and placed it under /usr/ports/distfiles, FBSD will and indeed *must*
connect to a ftp/http server (using 'fetch', IIRC) and download
the source, compile the program(s) and install them.  This is all
handled automatically by 'make,' which reads the "Makefile" for
its instructions.

The use of 'make install clean' is also recommended rather than
just 'make', I believe.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.