Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:02:20 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are pipes broken in -STABLE?

Steve Sizemore stated:
: For the last week or so, all of the kernels that I've built have been
: having trouble with pipes. Port extractions fail, makewhatis fails,
: all sorts of things generate error messages. The simplest example is
: tar - e.g.
:    # tar tzvf /usr/ports/distfiles/cfengine-1.6.1.tar.gz >/dev/null
:
:    gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
:    tar: child returned status 1
:
: gunzip, followed by tar xf, works just fine, so I don't think it's a
: gzip or tar problem. Besides, other things fail which don't
: (apparently) use gzip or tar, but do use pipes. And, not all pipes,
: fail, but I haven't been able to determine what causes some to fail.
:
: This occurs on both intel and alpha.
:
: I have to believe that this is something local to my setup - I haven't
: seen anyone else discuss it on the list. Still I've tried almost
: everything I can think of, even dropping back to a GENERIC kernel, and
: still see the same behavior. Right now, I'm re-cvsupping the sources,
: and I'll try building GENERIC from virgin sources, but, in the
: meanwhile, does anyone have a clue what might be the problem?

Steve-

Is this over ssh connection? I think something weird is happening
with pipes and openssh 2.3.0p1 MFC.

Not sure if it has been addressed or not.

Sean O'Connell                                Email: sean@stat.Duke.EDU
Institute of Statistics and Decision Sciences Phone: (919) 684-5419
Duke University                               Fax:   (919) 684-8594