Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:10:19 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Konqueror, kdesu and .Xauthority

I found that trying to start Konq in file manager run as root mode
from the System menu in KDE did not work on FreeBSD 4.4-stable with
KDE 2.2.2.

After poking around a while, here is what I think was happening and a
workaround.

Konqueror is run in root mode by kdesu, which takes a cookie from the
.Xauthority file in the user's home directory for authorization, so
root can open the X server window.

I was running KDE, starting it with xdm. xdm is supposed to create a
.Xauthority file in the home directory of the invoking user . It was
not doing this. I then started X and KDE up from startx, using
"startkde" in my .xinitrc file. Voila! There were the .Xauthority
files! After they were once there, I went back to xdm and it would
write the cookie, it just wouldn't create the files initially. This
is probably a bug in xdm ??

At this point, Konq would try to execute, but still had problems.
Looking in the .xsession-errors file, it showed that Konq could not
fiind the URL "OOP". This is probably part of an error message
starting with "OOPS" ?

Going to the System->Menu Editor and making the command line
"kdesu konqueror file:/" made it work. Apparently it accepts the
"file:/" URL and ignores the "OOPS" , which is now trailiing garbage.

Could someone else try this and see if this is consistent?
--
Jim Durham