Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:24:58 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        green <green@prokk.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internet limitation

On Sunday 23 September 2001 11:11, green wrote:
> hi !
>
> i have 10 computers looks like this
>
>        internet
>
>        freebsd
> ----------|-------------
>
> _  _  _   _   _  _  _  _
> windows 98/95 users
>
> how can i deny acces to internet
> win95/98 users depends with what login
> win95/98 user log-on into the network ?
> i think i need samba
> but i don't know how to configure samba to deny acces to the internet
> to specific users..
>
> perhabps i need samba+other app ?

Samnba is only concerned with the SMB protocol, not the TCP/IP protocol that
the internet uses.

And you can do lots of control over who access what, but only based on the IP
addresses, not based on the users, if you use the usual IP forwarding.

The only way I could see to do this would be to set up a full-blown proxy
server which could get some sort of authentication from the users.  It might
be possible to set it up so that this authentication was based on their
Windows login but would probably be far simpler to just make them use a
separate "internet login" onto the proxy server.

But in any case I don't think this will be easy to do.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org