Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:00:08 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware and CDROM was (Re: Linux ioctl not implemented error)

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 12:11:38AM +0000, Alex wrote:

> OK - there was something wrong with the cpu- and meminfo files that I
> had grabbed from a Linux box.  Running the fakeprocfs script did it -
> the machine powered on! Now there's another problem - virtual disks
> aren't working properly.   vmware dumps core after displaying the
> following message:
>
> "VMware PANIC:  Slave process died"
Oh-oh. I never saw a message like this.
When you were looked this message, immediately after session start or
latter?

[ skipped ]
>> Dec 05 23:26:33: DISK: OPEN IDE 0:0 /usr/local/vmware/solaris persistent
>> Dec 05 23:26:33: Virtual disk /usr/local/vmware/solaris is checkcapable and co
nsistent
>> Dec 05 23:26:33: DISK: ROOT COWDisk   /usr/local/vmware/solaris (866/15/63)

> Disabling IDE 0:0 seems to help, but what good is a virtual machine
> without a hard drive?
As I understand you use vmware virtual disk, right?
Did you proper create this disk? Because I didn't have any problem
with virtual disk.
I have very simple proposition, just try to create another disk.

> Vladimir's page says that raw devices are supported, but I refuse to
> give it a real device.  I tried faking a raw device with vnconfig, but
> vmware didn't like it (although the configuration editor let me edit the
> faked device).
Oh no, don't do such things. When you use raw device it must be
a real IDE drive and (probably) block, not character device.

> This is with Soren's ata driver - I haven't tried the old one (yet).
It doesn't mean.

--
Vladimir Silyaev