Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 1996 21:57:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rick Weldon <rick@wisetech.com>
Cc:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any info on Hackerbrau?

[Repeat after me:  "I shall not send -chat material to hackers!" :-)]

> Good question :) I know the monks live on stark bier (strong beer)
> through lent. (drank lots of it as well. Black, stuff floating in it,

True, though to my knowledge, at least, the Hacker-Pschorr company
never traditionally produced "Starkbier" (one word, not two) - they're
a big city brewery, catering more to the "Helles" drinkers, and the
monks tended to do their own brewing in places like Andechs, about
20km south of Munich and well worth a visit if you're a drinkin' man.

In these modern times, of course, all the major breweries produce such
special brews during "Starkbierzeit", but that's driven more from
market forces than tradition.  I wouldn't really associate their line
of brews (known by local Munich nicknames like "Terminator",
"Eliminator", "Devastator" and so on) with the genuine monk-brewed
Lent article.  There's really no comparison, if you've tried both.

						Jordan