Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 16:21:17 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd signal handler race?

>Regarding the CERT announcement just recently about a problem with ftpd,
>according to the information there it was implied that only 2.2+ was fixed,
>and that the changes weren't in the 2.1 line.  When looking through the cvs
>logs on the freebsd web site, I ran across a checkin on the RELENG_2_1_0
>line that seemed to imply that this problem was fixed.  So is it true that
>if one's tracking the 2.1-STABLE line then this problem has been fixed
>regardless of what the cert announcement says?

   I was the one who originally discovered the security hole and informed
CERT. The bug was fixed in the 2.2 tree prior to the 2.2.0 release and was
merged (by pst) into the 2.1 branch prior to the 2.1.7 release.
   So the answer is "yes", the problem is fixed in the 2.1-stable branch
and if you're tracking that then you don't need to worry about it.

-DG

David Greenman