Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 07:49:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        v@atdot.dotat.org
Subject:   Digital Video cameras, memory sticks

Hi, people.

I'm about to buy a digital video camera.  In doing so, I'm kinda trusting
that IEEE-1394 support in free operating systems will eventually mature
to the point where I can drive it under BSD -- I figure that's inevitable,
even if it's going to take a while.

In the meantime, though, I've been looking at some of the Sony Mini-DV
models which come with Memory Stick slots and USB interfaces.  And I have
some questions about support for *those* under BSD right now, since we have
increasingly good USB support already.  The ability to drive the camera
under FreeBSD isn't the overriding feature I'm using to select the product
I buy, but it'll definitely be a tie-breaker when I'm looking at competing
brands or models with similar features.

So - Can I talk to a Sony Mini-DV camera via the USB interface from FreeBSD?
If so, what capabilities does it deliver?  (frame grabbing?  MPEG download?)
What hardware/software combinations are people using for doing I/O on Sony
Memory Stick media?

If I decide to buy something like this, I'll be driving it from a desktop
system - No PCCARD interfaces, but plenty of USB sockets.  And, one day, when
the software support has managed to get there, Firewire as well.

(FWIW: I've noted that Kino (http://freshmeat.net/projects/kino/) already
appears to be able to talk to these cameras, perform basic editing, MPEG
downloads, etc -- But on Linux, with their IEEE1394 support).

Please reply directly to me;  I'll summarize back to the mailing list if
I get anything worthwhile.

Thanks in advance,

   - mark