Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 18:51:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
To:        Alan Knell <ajk@mastigo4.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyrix 6x86 CPU

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Alan Knell wrote:

<> Hello FreeBSD,
<> How best should I enter a Cyrix 6x86 in the cpu "cpu_type" in the kernel
<> configuration file?
<> Thank you.
<> Alan Knell
<>

That depends on the 6x86.  My 6x86 PR166 had to be set up as:

cpu "I486_CPU"

I upgraded to a 6x86MX PR266, left my settings the same
and the kernel panicked at boot time.  Works fine with:

cpu "I686_CPU".

I love the way those Cyrix's run - a lot of bang for the buck.