Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:41:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        white@la.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI tape drive (wst0) problem.

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Alexander Prohorenko wrote:
> FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE i386
> wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <SuperStation-Int/1.06>, removable, accel, iordy
> options ATAPI
> device wst0
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV wst0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator   90,   0 Dec 12 12:05 /dev/rwst0

	Looks good so far to my slightly experienced eyes.

> mt -f /dev/rwst0 status
>
> I'm getting:
>
> mt: /dev/rwst0: Device not configured

	When I first started dealing with tape drives (on sa0, for me) I
found that "Device not configured" often translates to "You forgot to
insert a tape into the drive first."  Are you trying to use the command
when there isn't a tape in the drive?  Are you using the correct type of
tape?  Does the wst driver actually handle the kind of tape drive that you
have?

						Jaime