Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:45:08 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports tidy-up sweep

Satoshi Asami stands accused of saying:
>  * From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
>
>  * It is clear that for some ports, the files/md5 file can't be used.  Could
>  * I perhaps campaign for a files/md5.ignore file listing the names of files
>  * which belong to the port but whose checksum should not be checked?
> (2) Add a new variable IGNOREFILES, which is the subset of ALLFILES
>     that you don't want to checksum.  The checksum field of these
>     files will be set to the string "IGNORE" by the makesum target.
>     The checksum target will try to ensure all checksums and all
>     IGNORE-dness.  If a file not in IGNOREFILES has the checksum
>     "IGNORE" or a file in IGNOREFILES has a regular checksum, it will
>     warn you (or should I make this an error?).

If I read this correctly, a correctly-formatted md5 entry for an
'ignored' file will be :

MD5 (foo.bar.gz) = IGNORE

Is that right?

> Now a file not having an entry in files/md5 is not possible, so I
> should probably make that an error to, eh?

Sounds reasonable, especially if you're in a position to enforce it.
>From my point of view, I have to trust that the contents of the md5
file is a definitive list of all the files that the port uses.  I tried
various hacks using make to emit the list of files used by the port,
but that blows the tree scan time out by an order of magnitude, which
really isn't an option.

> Comments please!

I like it.  We're in a bit of a bind I guess because the ports model
was never designed as such, it's just grown like topsy.  I'm certain
it was never planned to cope with what I'm trying to do, and TBH I
think that any attempt at a rigid definition would either be instantly
obsoleted or would stifle things.

As it is just now, I only have one port left to complain about;
postgres-95.

Why does it have three md5 files, where two of them are for the
flex-2.5.2 binary package?  With flex in the tree now, this seems
silly.

> Satoshi

(patch elided; please note that because I don't have the disk space or
the link to feed it, I can't test this with a full distfiles collection 8( )

Thanks immensely for your support with my annoying feature requests!
Now on to get this terminal-interaction stuff happening.  I like the
christmas slowdown 8)