Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:28:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XV 3.01 port under FreeBSD 2.0

Greetings,

Has anyone noticed that the FreeBSD port of XV 3.01 consumes
an inordinate amount of memory?  I have 8M Ram, 20M swap, and
after loading about 10 large pictures or so, I run out of swap
space.

I mention this because I also have Linux installed, and the
Linux port does not behave in this way.  It appears that the
Linux port frees the memory allocated to each picture before
not do, or at least does incorrectly... the Linux port never
makes the swap run out.

Not an important problem, I know, but I figured someone should
know... I got this from the WC CD, I haven't seen the source
for XV on it, so I haven't looked into it.  I wouldn't have
even mentioned it, if it weren't a desirable aim to better
Linux in _every_ way.

Regards and Thanks,

Raoul

--
Raoul Golan, Consultant for Object Oriented P/L, at   ="Those who have put out
Intelligent Networks Development, Telecom Australia   = the eyes of the people