Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2012 16:49:56 +0000
From:      Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1R?

On 12/22/12 07:29, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:26:36 -0600
> Jay West <jwest@ezwind.net> wrote:
>
>> All our FreeBSD use is now under Xenserver 6.1. I was curious, given the
>> port of xe-guest-utilities that allows online migrations and such. after
>> installing those tools (thus PVM/64), should we be changing our mount points
>> to refer to the xen hd device (xbdX) or continue to use adX inside the VM
>> for filesystem mounts (kinda like we need to change the network device {ex.
>> bgeX} to xnX)? Just looking for a sanity check J
>
> You'll notice that /dev/xbd* doesn't actually exist :-)

FWIW:

> Also, if you aren't aware, here is my personal list of Xen bugs:
>
> - Shutdown via Xen fails to poweroff. It doesn't issue any normal shutdown commands,
>   but tells the Xen code in the kernel to start a shutdown. It's broken on the kernel
>   side. kern/171118
>   Also, NetBSD's workaround for this is to enable powerd, but we can't
>   when we're running XENHVM and I suspect their powerd is a completely different beast.

netbsd-dom0# xm shutdown firewall-2

(xm console firewall-2)
FreeBSD/amd64 (firewall-2.xxx.local) (cuau0)

login: pflog0: promiscuous mode disabled
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...4 4 3 1 1 0 0 done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 2d13h50m8s
acpi0: Powering system off
root@netbsd-dom0:/usr/pkg/etc/xen/conf#

Works here. But that FreeBSD domU is 10-CURRENT..
9.1-PRERELEASE also works though:

FreeBSD/amd64 (haproxy-2.xxx.local) (cuau0)

login: pflog0: promiscuous mode disabled
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...9 9 7 6 1 1 1 0 0 0 done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 2d13h50m0s
acpi0: Powering system off
root@netbsd-dom0:/usr/pkg/etc/xen/conf#

> - If you use PF with Xen HVM your performance will suck. Known bug.
>   kern/154428
>   Set net.inet.tcp.tso=0 as a workaround.

Hmm. I'm running PF on all the FreeBSD domUs and notice no slowdown. The
traffic isn't that much, 1000 states and 300 searches/s (pfctl -si) on
the application servers. The load balancers are slightly higher, 4000
states and 900 searches/s. Still nothing spectacular but again, no problems.

I do remember this being an issue at some point in the past though.

> - "Deactivating" a network interface is an option after enabling the xe-guest-utilities scripts.
>   Please don't do that. It seems to cause a panic every time. kern/171138
>   Also, this happens when you try to change the VLAN assigned to an
>   interface.

No idea about this.