Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:20:48 +0900
From:      Jarrod <jofsama@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Disk Partitions & "mount"

Hi to mount & fdisk gurus,

Wondering if anyone might have come across this or knows the reasoning
behind this?

I have an external USB HDD with 4 partitions (slices):
1: 60GB NTFS
2: 60GB NTFS
3: 60GB UFS2 [split into two 30GB freebsd partitions)
4: 58GB FAT32

All partitions were originally created (using Acronis PartExp) inside a
single extended partition.

I later changed the 3rd partition from being a logical partition to
being a physical, leading to
2 entries in my MBR. One for the extended partition and one for the
converted physical partition.
Note that since I didn't modify the 4th logical partition, it came about
that the extended partition
was now spanning across (but skipping over) the physical 3rd partition.

I converted the 3rd partition from type NTFS to FreeBSD using FreeBSD
fdisk, which incidentally
wiped out my logical partition entry in the MBR. Details on this and how
I fixed it are in the
freebsd-questions mailing list.

What happens now is that if I mount any of the logical partitions (NTFS
or FAT32 partitions) in
the extended then I am completely unable to mount my FreeBSD (UFS)
partitions. I am
able to read off sectors from the partition (/dev/da0s2) using "dd", and
also fdisk will read
the ExtBootPartitionRecord ok, but fdisk is unable to write to it,
complaining, "Cannot access
consumer".

If I unmount all the logical partitions then things are now suddenly ok
and I can mount my UFS ones.

Can you tell me why this is so? I am guessing the work-around is to trim
down
my extended partition so it does NOT overlap the physical UFS. Creating
a second physical
partition (3rd entry in the MBR) in the process in order to access the
FAT32.

Why does FreeBSD have this limitation? Is it necessary?

Any and all input (academic or otherwise) greatly appreciated.

Yours Sincerely,
Jarrod.