Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:17:07 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old style kernel configuration

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
> I've been working on removing obsolete information various documents.
> While going through older articles I noticed a few references to the
> "old style" kernel configuration involving running config(1) manually.
>
> Is there any value in keeping this documented as an alternative to
> "make buildkernel" or should it be treated as an implementation detail?

    For new/non-advanced users, this shouldn't necessarily be exposed
except as an implementation detail and a historical artifact; more
directions, not less serve to confuse the masses -> see git as a
perfect example of this with all of its workflows.
    I think the question that should be asked first is: who's your
target audience (remember, hackers are generally the more and not less
advanced target audience)? Once this question can be answered, I think
it would become apparent either to you and other reviewers what the
text should say.
Thanks,
Garrett