Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:09:11 -0500
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Write Failed message with 9.1-RC3

On Nov 26, 2012, at 4:01 PM, "Reed A. Cartwright" <cartwright@asu.edu> wrote=
:

> I'm new to this list...
>=20
> I'm running a bioinformatics server using 9.1-RC3 (64 cores, 512GB
> ram).  I have a ZFS raid-z2 array attached to an LSI controller with a
> SSD cache drive.

Can you tell us more about this server . Can you post the output of pciconf -=
lv ,
What do you have in loader.conf and sysctl.conf ? Do you se a custom kernel b=
uild;  What are the changes you made to that config ?=20
>=20
> Since upgrading to 9.1-RC2/3 (for AVX support), I have been
> experiencing hard drive lockups with the message "write failed"
> printed to the console.  After this reading from the hard drives no
> longer work, but the machine is not locked up.  If the appropriate
> files are in the cache, I can log in and execute programs.  I know the
> LSI driver has been updated in 9.1 and I have updated my cards' bios
> to match.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.
>=20
> Once I was able to run top, and saw that many processes were stuck in
> the 'tx->tx' state.

What does your zfs config look like can you post the output if zpool status ?=
 What zfz options have you set on pool and filesystens ?

Lastly In a shutdown -h now , does the system properly shutdown ,does it cra=
sh and dump core ?