Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 17:50:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Jorge Aldana <jorge@salk.edu>
Cc:        Mike Uttech <mike@negativezero.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

[-security or -stable but not both please; redirected to -stable]

> So, rebooting when a machine is overloaded is not a problem?

It is a problem, certainly, if it can be verified.

> It seems from the responses that this is an acceptable symptom of FreeBSD
> 3.1 (release and stable)?

No, judging by the responses, nobody is saying this.  What people are
saying is that bug reports or security advisories which give none of
the clues necessary to do anything meaningful with them are not
acceptable.

This is not a paid organization here and so people can't just show up
and say "Hey!  It doesn't work!  Fix it!" (and nothing more) since in
so doing, they only create more work than they save as everyone is
forced to scramble to try and get some (any) actual information out of
them.  That's not helpful and what is not helpful is simply not
acceptable when people are donating their time out of generosity since
it's hard enough finding sufficient time to donate as it is without
having it wasted.  Again, this is not a paid organization and if
someone isn't part of the solution then they're truly part of the
problem and we have enough problems to deal with already to welcome
new ones.  That has been the substance of most of the reactions I've
seen so far.

Saying that "your system has been rebooting" is a typical case of a
worse-than-useless bug report since it only spreads uncertainty while
providing none of the information necessary to go further with it.
If, as very often it later transpires, the problem also turns out to
be some piece of hardware or any other factor unrelated to FreeBSD
then you can bet that most people won't follow up to say "Whoops, it
was my fault, sorry!" and this leaves the incorrect general impression
that FreeBSD was somehow "broken" for lack of any additional followup
information.

This is as frustrating to both developers and advocates as it is
unfair, and it's why we now *insist* on some actual detail with these
bug reports before running around and spending a lot of time on them.
We've seen people screw themselves with overclocking (and not admit
it), badly syncronized hand-upgraded binaries, bogus hardware, you
name it and we've seen it - we've even seen people confuse us for
BSD/OS or NetBSD and submit reports for bugs which aren't even in our
operating system!  If there is a depth of stupidity to which it's no
longer possible to sink below, I haven't seen it yet; users continue
to amaze me with their latest tunneling efforts and it makes you
unwilling to jump on anything that doesn't look like the user has done
his or her homework first before submitting a report.

I'm also not saying that this latest bugtraq report is bogus, I'm
simply saying that it doesn't provide enough information to make it
distinguishable from a bogus bug report in any way.  A meaningful
bug/incident report is one where the user has taken responsibility for
figuring out the various causal factors and narrowing it down enough
to where there's actually enough information for a developer to
achieve something concrete with it.  This responsibility is also the
user's and the user's alone since they're not paying for the services
of an on-site engineer who shares access to their equipment, and if
they can't gather the info then it's unlikely that anyone else will
either and we're back to the content-free bug report again.

- Jordan