Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkenn@bns.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Corrupted swapspace

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> I've just been playing around with my hard disk partitions (resized the
> primary DOS partition on my first hard drive using partition magic and
> changed the cluster size), which is the only thing I can think of that
> was actually changed in the meantime. I added another FreeBSD partition
> on a second drive and moved around some directories, but I can't think
> how that could have caused the problem below:

What error message are you getting that leads you to believe the swapspace
is corrupted?  All that's there is scratch space that's probably wiped or
ignored on every boot.

> # /dev/wd0s2a:

[proper disklabel]

> [morden] 11:57 ~ disklabel -r /dev/wd0s2b
> Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

My 2.2-970215-GAMMA system does this too:

gdi,ttyp1,~,19>disklabel -r /dev/wd0b
Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

> By contrast, disklabel -r on my other swap partition on the second hard
> drive correctly gives me the disklabel summary for the drive.

That just happens to work then.

> By rights, I should have 88M total swap with these two partitions, but
> top was reporting it as 133M total. Presumably as a consequence, my
> processes kept on dying with signal 10 and 11 (I'm assuming this is what
> hapened when they tried to enter the phantom swap-space). I've removed
> the first swapon entry from fstab and it seems to be working fine so far.

What does `swapinfo' report with both swap partitions on?

> My questions are these:
>
> a) How did this happen?

It should work OK.  Your disk may have uncovered a media defect inside the
swap partition.

> b) What can I do to fix it?

Working on that.