Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 20:05:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic: warning: pmap_changebit didn't.

On Fri, 21 May 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> > > Unfortunately I cannot use gdb now.
> > >
> > > db> gdb
> > > No gdb port enabled. Set flag 0x80 on desired port
> > > in your configuration file (currently sio only).
> > >
> > > Last time, I was able to use gdb with the flag 0x50.
> > > I found the following code in /sys/isa/sio.c
> >
> > Currently, gdb is hardwired to sio1 on the alpha. I don't think it needs
> > any other flags but 0x80 might help.
>
> This thread has thoroughly confused me.  From reading it I gather that
> all combinations of flags both work and don't work on any, all, or
> none of the serial ports, and patches to the kernel both are and are
> not required. :-(
>
> Does anybody out there have a working configuration for remote gdb
> plus a serial console on the alpha?  I don't care whether they're on
> the same serial port or not.  Show actual lines from the config file,
> please, and any necessary patches too.
>
> And what is the point of the new flag 0x80 when the existing 0x40
> flag is explicitly documented as being for remote gdb?

I use this kernel config for a machine which uses sio0 as console and sio1
for gdb. Currently the choice of sio1 is hardwired (not ideal but not too
important):

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
#	$Id$

machine		"alpha"
cpu		"EV5"
ident		GENERIC
maxusers	10

options		"DEC_KN8AE"
options		"DEC_EB164"		# EB164, PC164, PC164LX, PC164SX
options		"DEC_2100_A50"		# AlphaStation 200, 250, 255, 400
options		"DEC_KN20AA"		# AlphaStation 500, 600
options		"DEC_ST550"		# Personal Workstation 433, 500, 600
options		"DEC_AXPPCI_33"		# UDB, Multia, AXPpci33, Noname

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		SOFTUPDATES		#even faster ffs
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		"CD9660_ROOT"		#CD-ROM usable as root device
options		FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options		NFS_ROOT		#NFS usable as root device
options		BOOTP
options		BOOTP_NFSROOT
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative
options		SCSI_DELAY=2000
options		SCSI_NCR_DEBUG=0
options		DIAGNOSTIC

config		kernel	root on da1

controller	pci0

controller	tlsb0
controller	gbus0
controller	kft0
controller	dwlpx0

controller	cia0
controller	apecs0
controller	lca0

controller	isa0
device		mcclock0 at isa0 port 0x70

controller	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1
device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12

device		vga0	at isa? port ? conflicts

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa?
device		sio0	at isa0 port "IO_COM1" irq 4
device		sio1	at isa0 port "IO_COM2" irq 3 flags 0x50

controller	ncr0
controller	isp0

controller	scbus0

device		da0
device		sa0
device		pass0
device		cd0

controller	ata0
device		atadisk0	# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd0	# ATAPI CDROM drives
#device		atapist0	# ATAPI tape drives

device		de0
device		xl0

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
#device de0

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	sl	1
pseudo-device	ppp	1
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	16
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	vn
pseudo-device	bpfilter 4

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options		KTRACE		#kernel tracing

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options		SYSVSHM

options		DDB
options		BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER